Friday, May 27, 2011

Is this really going to happen?

The first time I heard about the IBM Corporate Service Corps was during one of my daily Facebook surfing sessions. An IBM colleague of mine was posting pictures of herself enjoying what looked like an African safari vacation. It didn't take long for her to answer my questions about what the heck was she doing in Africa. She explained that she was in country as part of the IBM program to perform community-driven economic development projects in emerging markets - a sort of corporate version of the Peace Corps. Her enthusiasm for the program seemed to radiate through my laptop screen and straight into my eyes. I was instantly struck with envy and pride in equal measure.

Fast forward a year or so later when I had just returned from Pulse, the IBM flagship conference for service management that hosts nearly 7000 attendees. I am part of the core team that spends 9 months of the year planning Pulse. It's hard not to become emotionally involved. Naturally, I ride a wave of endorphins for a least a week post-conference, not unlike what one might experience after the other thing that takes 9 months to complete, you know - childbirth. It was during this Pulse afterglow phase when I opened the email inviting me to apply for the IBM Corporate Service Corps.

I had no expectations of being accepted. I was just thinking, "What if . . .?" After consulting my manager, I completed the application and wrote the required essay. Just doing that bit required that I search myself for what was really driving me to participate and how I feel about corporate responsibility. Would my husband be supportive? Would my family survive without Mama for an entire month?

As time marched on, each answer to those questions cleared a path that led me to where I am today. Today I confirmed my travel arrangements to Tianjin, China as a member of the IBM Corporate Service Corps China 14 team.

How am I feeling? Privileged, honored, nervous, scared, excited, and exhilarated. This is really going to happen. I'm going to see how they do things on the other side of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I heard a great story About the IBM corporate service corps at IBM Smart Camp from an IBMer who went to Vietnam. Great job Jen! - Will Foster

    ReplyDelete